Top Corners
Please check out all our wonderful Dogs and Cats available for adoption.


Pet Tips
Owning a pet is a commitment that requires you to offer necessary and proper care for the lifetime of your animal. Remember that a healthy puppy can live approximately 15 years with proper care. You will need to provide proper shelter, nutritious food, time, spaying/neutering, exercise, veterinary visits, training, and love for the lifetime of your new pet.


It's Illegal
"Leaving a pet unattended in a car is illegal in Ohio. It's against the law and if we see it happening,  we will prosecute", said former Humane Officer Lisa Williams. If you take your pet with you, make sure you have an adult along to be responsible for your pet while you are away from the vehicle.


Medicine
Dogs need special medications for fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, and flies. Fly bites can cause infection and pain to dogs. Prescriptions are available from your veterinarian that are appropriate for your dog. Flea and tick medication is available over the counter at pet supply stores and your vet's office.


"Treats" to Avoid
The following People Foods have been known to cause illness or toxicity in some species of pets:
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Chocolate (baker's, semi-sweet, milk chocolate)
  • Moldy or spoiled foods
  • Onions, onion powder
  • Garlic, garlic powder
  • Salt
  • Yeast dough
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Raisins and grapes
  • Avocado
  • Hops (used in home brewing)
  • Fatty foods
  • Bones
  • Milk
  • Raw eggs
  • Raw or under cooked meats

The following are toxic to our animals:

Low Toxicity
  • Poinsettia Leaves and Stems
  • Balsam / Pine / Cedar / Fir
  • Angel Hair (Spun Glass)
  • Christmas Tree Preservatives
  • Snow Sprays and Snow Flock
  • Tree Ornaments
  • Super Glue
  • Styrofoam
  • Icicles and Tinsel
  • Crayons and Paints.

Moderate Toxicity
  • Fireplace Colors and Salts
  • Plastic Model Cement

Moderate to High Toxicity
  • Holly Berries and Leaves
  • Bubbling Lights (Methylene Chloride)
  • Snow Scenes (May Contain Salmonella)
  • Aftershaves / Perfumes / Alcoholic Beverages
  • Chocolate (Dark is more toxic than Milk)

High Toxicity
  • Mistletoe (Especially Berries)
  • Epoxy Adhesives
  • Antifreeze
Please note that some items have special problems. For example, whereas angel hair is usually considered to be of low toxicity, it can irritate eyes, skin, and the gastrointestinal tract; the content of Christmas tree preservatives varies and often effects depend upon the amount ingested; Styrofoam, small parts from Christmas tree ornaments and toys, as well as tinsel, can cause mechanical obstructions in the gastrointestinal tract; snow flock can cause problems if sprayed into the mouth and inhaled; and chocolate, of any type, should never be given to a pet. Antifreeze deserves special mention because even a very small amount can be rapidly fatal to pets.

Other Holiday Concerns
If you plan to take your pet with you during holiday visits, make sure that your pet is welcome first (with all the activity, it may be better to board your pet or hire a pet sitter). Holiday treats, such as rich, fatty food scraps, bones from fish, pork, and poultry, alcoholic beverages, and chocolate, can be harmful or toxic to pets. Do not allow friends and relatives to give your pet special treats because it could ruin everyone's holiday (including your veterinarian's). Do not allow pets to play with ribbons, yarn, or six-pack beverage holders and don't put ribbons or yarn around your pet's neck. If you want to decorate your pet, invest in a holiday collar. These last for many years, are more attractive, and are a lot safer! Cover or tack down electrical cords.
Top Corners